RNLI Website

RYA Website

Admiralty Easytide

Met Office

BBC H2O podcast

Winter Warmer - 5th-7th November 2011

From Hythe Marina aboard "MiSue"

Updated: 14-11-2011

Report and photos from Peter Clayton and Mick Barber:

"MiSue" Crew : Mick Barber (Skipper Owner), Peter Clayton (Mate).

Sunshine at Beaulieu.

Mick Barber and Peter Clayton Mick Barber and Peter Clayton

There was apparently little interest in the Winter Warmer this year but what a great long weekend's sailing it proved to be. With the news that Mick Barber had put "MiSue" back in the water in September there was no need for a Charter Boat, so planning was a fairly simple affair for me at least.

I arranged to meet Mick down at Hythe Marina on the Friday evening with the option of doing a bit of night sailing, however my trip down was a long drive in some awful traffic and on arrival at Hythe the rain started! Thoughts of going sailing soon ended and we were soon walking into the village for a good meal and a pint or two.

Next morning after making use of the facilities at Hythe Marina we locked out into Southampton Water for a leisurely sail down into the Solent and headed west with the tide to anchor just outside Newtown Creek for lunch at 12.30. It was soup and pies for lunch, having already had bacon butties for brunch. There was a slight break in the cloud at times and it was dry at least with a mainly northerly wind at force 3-4, this proved to be ideal sailing conditions for the whole weekend.

Solent Solent

We weighed anchor at 14.05 and had the sails up by 14.15. We were soon doing 7.5 knots over the ground and actually passed Cowes entrance after 40 minutes, "MiSue" was flying along. It was decided to head for Port Solent for the night, after having decided against Bembridge due to lack of water on the neap tides. Into Portsmouth Harbour and then a night passage up the channel into Port Solent lock where we were given berthing instructions and then onto our Pontoon.

MiSue, East Cowes "MiSue", East Cowes

We headed out for a meal and decided on Wetherspoon's where we enjoyed a basic but very reasonable meal and some cheaper beer to wash it all down. The pub was soon filled with lots of potential crew but we resisted the urge to sign them on! Next morning it was a trip to the Marine Superstore, where I resisted the urge to buy a fleece jacket at 89, having left most of my warm gear at home, I managed in the end with a jumper from the boot of my car. Mick was able to replace his sheer pin for the outboard and then we went to pay the berth fee at 17.95, very reasonable especially having seen and used the new showers etc.

MiSue, Cowes "MiSue", East Cowes Marina

We locked out and after a leisurely motor out into the harbour we raised the sails and once again had a swift sail west to enter the Beaulieu River and picked up a buoy for a late lunch.

The weather could not have been better with blue sky and sunshine all day. After lunch we headed out into the Solent again and made for Cowes. We thought the wind had dropped until a gust hit us that left me fighting the tiller to stop "MiSue" heading up into wind. This all happened when we were trying to take some photos of a passing tall ship. It was only a temporary distraction though and the conditions settled again for our entrance into Cowes where we went into East Cowes Marina for the night.

North Channel North Channel

Once again we ate out, at the convenient Lifeboat Inn next to the marina. We noted that kids were free but we opted for the specials menu instead! After another great day's sailing we were not out too late and returned to the boat for a good night'sleep. Next morning after breakfast we went for a more sedate cruise across to West Cowes on the chain Ferry. We had to get a tiller extension fitting from the Chandlery as it had failed the previous day, Mick also took advantage of some bargain deck shoes! Then it was back to the boat for lunch before setting sail back towards Hythe. On the way up the North Channel we embarked on an unofficial race with a 32' Dehler and we gave her a beating, twice!

Instruments Instruments

Just to prove how well we were sailing, 7.4 knots through the water, 5.9 SOG with just 13.9 knots true wind. We were soon back outside Hythe Marina lock and then to the fuel pontoon to fill the tank for winter and onto the pontoon for a quick bite before I had to head off home. As Mick reminded me that I had to go to work in the morning, thanks Mick!! It was a great three day's sailing and certainly made up for previous KPCA cruises this year where we had too much wind and rain at times. We logged 67.5 miles and the max wind was a force 5-6.