RNLI Website

RYA Website

Admiralty Easytide

Met Office

BBC H2O podcast

Booze Cruise - Falmouth 2012 - 'Sea state moderate, rough later. Rain later. Gale 8 later'.

Updated: 02-10-2012

Report from Steve Worner:

Crew :

Nigel, David B., Lis and Steve (Skipper) aboard "Tigger Too"

David G., Phil and Norma (Skipper) aboard "Sail A Vie"

This year's Booze Cruise saw two boats sailing out of Falmouth (as usual) but because of difficulties in getting two boats from one Charterer we had myself, Nigel, David Blogg and Lis on "Tigger Too" out of the Yacht Haven with Norma Bridge skippering "Sail A Vie" with husband Phil and David Gist as crew out of Falmouth Marina.

Mooring in Mevagissey Mooring in Mevagissey

The weather forecast was good from Thursday evening until Saturday PM but the forecasters were hedging their bets on Sunday, suggesting we could catch the tail end of a hurricane (why can't the Americans keep their bad weather to themselves?)

Thursday evening saw a brief trip around to Restronguet Creek and the newly rebuilt Pandora Inn following the disastrous fire 18 months ago. Having dropped one of the crew on the Pontoon we moved a small motor boat up to one end to make room for us to tie up ( with "Sail A Vie" going outside of us) - why do people insist on hogging a whole pontoon? Outwardly and inwardly the Pandora looked very much as previous with the exception that the post box set in the wall was painted gold in honour of Ben Ainsley and his success in the recent Olympics. The food was, as ever, very good and value for money. Following our meal and a drink, we cast off and picked up mooring in the deeper water.

Morning dawned with a flat calm and a bit of sunshine so after a leisurely start both boats set off for Fowey under motor. We had considered a trip to Penzance but with Easterlies forecast for Saturday decided to give this a miss. Norma headed out whilst we hugged the coast and passed inside Gull Rock. After rounding Dodman Point, "Sail A Vie" headed across to Fowey whilst we made for Mevagissey, both under motor still.

Coming alongside in Mevagissey Coming alongside in Mevagissey
The wind had started to increase and our crew decided that an ice cream break in Mevagissey might give enough time for the wind to rise sufficiently for us to sail to Fowey and this proved to be the case with "Tigger Too" enjoying a pleasant downwind sail across the bottom of St Austell Bay.
Leaving Mevagissey Leaving Mevagissey
When we arrived in Fowey harbour, "Sail A Vie" was tied up on a visitor's mooring with no signs of life whilst we made use of the Town Pontoon to go ashore for a shower at the yacht club. When we were just preparing to head across to the next buoy, we received a call from the other boat and were told that Norma was ashore for retail therapy so contact was made and a lift given back to her boat. Friday night saw the compulsory run ashore and another excellent meal in the Lugger.

Saturday dawned again with not a lot of wind to start so both boats headed out with Norma in the lead. We decided to get the cruising chute out but by the time we had got it on deck and rigged ready to fly the wind had risen to the top end of F4 Easterly so we scrubbed that idea. The wind continued rising all the way back and was up around F6 by the time we tucked in behind St Anthony's head for a late lunch of local pasties. With the wind still rising from the East a call was made to Helford River Sailing Club ( where we had a table booked that evening) to cancel as strong Easterlies do not bode well for a comfortable night in the Helford and both boats headed up river. Past the King Harry Ferry and the usual large ship laid up in the middle of the river. With David Gist having brought along one of his famous Bologneses, "Sail A Vie" picked up the pontoon farthest up the river and, after joining them briefly for aperitifs we went further up the river and picked up Visitors buoy V1 and decanted from there to the ferry landing and a visit to the Heron at Malpas for yet another fine meal. Having returned to the 'big boat' I took the dinghy back to the pontoon occupied by our friends with the "Tigger Too" close behind ( the logic being it would be easier to deflate and put the dinghy away next morning from the pontoon rather than on the foredeck.

Around 04.00 on Sunday I think most of us were disturbed by the sound of rain which was to continue virtually unabated until we returned the boats (and had even driven home). Following a hearty fry up for breakfast (a much more healthy and upmarket meal on our friends boat I believe) we cast off and headed back to Falmouth. The wind by now was whistling up around gale force (with the weather forecasts including the words in the title to this report and having refuelled and tied up on a vacant bit of pontoon, we left "Tigger Too" for a coffee before returning home only to be instructed to return to her to move her to a more sheltered spot as the wind had picked up even more. By the time we got back to her she was really rearing up and had actually snapped one of the double mooring lines we had set. We moved her to a more sheltered position but got soaked in the process and as we were going back to the cars spotted both lifeboats headed out (persons in the water off Porthkerris Cove). Having dried off a bit we headed home after an enjoyable weekend.